Saturday, June 27, 2009

Memories with Michael Jackson

So I don't feel bad about writing about Michael Jackson today for several reasons:
1) everyone else wrote about him yesterday, so I'm not just doing it because everyone else is.
2) I'm not a crazy MJ fan, just an admirer of his dancing
3) There's another reason

Hearing that Michael Jackson had died got me thinking. I think about Michael Jackson a lot actually. I was a dancer. and also I took a class my last semester at william and mary call black expressive cultures and two girls in the class got in a huge fight over whether MJ or Prince was better. It stuck with me. Made me listen to both of them more to decide for myself.

I have a lot of random memories with Michael Jackson's music and I was sitting in bed this morning and they just kept coming to me. I decided to write them down.

When I was a kid, like a little kid, my cousin was crazy about michael jackson. she had her cassette tapes of his music. heh cassette tapes. Anyway, she is a year or two younger than me and she used to put turtle neck over her head and then flip them back and call it her hair (she really wanted long hair). ANd I have this picture of her in my mind wearing nothing but panties and this turtleneck hair dancing around to what I think was the "Bad" album.

Weird Al. need I say more?

When the studio that I danced with had lock ins (or prom happened, or we were bored) we would have dance offs. Zoolander had just come out. Hansel was so hott right then. Dance offs always started with "beat it". I don't remember a single dance off that did not begin with "beat it". We learned the dance and would just dance to it sometimes.

This past semester William and Mary broke the record the most people doing the thriller dance at one time. 247 I think. Led by my good friend Kevin Dua, who came up to me probably 9 months ago and is was like "Leslie! We're going to try and break the record! You gotta do this!" See Kevin Dua and I have a strange connection through Michael jackson. We first met in January 2007. There was an auction to raise money for the international service trips. My then boyfriend was going to Kenya and my best friend Tony was going to mexico, I think. So we're sitting there and in between every couple of items there was entertainment. Kevin Dua comes out and does a Michael Jackson style dance to "Billie Jean". He did a FANTASIC job. I was so impressed. I went up to him afterward (he had no idea who I was) and was like "Oh my gosh, you are a homewrecker! I was this close to breaking up with my bf for you." he got really uncomfortable and laughed nervously. and then we were great friends. :)

well My favorite Michael Jackson song is "the way you make me feel". I have to work on studying for midterms now.

No comments: